First Job Trading Accounting System Convert GST to VAT

This was my first software job i had to do for Info System (pvt) Ltd. And i was a fresh starter to handle a system. I really didn't have faith in me that i could do the job. But my first Boss Mr. Thayaparan (CEO of Info sys & ewave) Gave me the job and explained i had to do. What he said was our government is changing the Tax GST to VAT and change Job Trading Accounting System to handle VAT as well.
When i went trough the code i saw every thing was hard coded to GST 12.5 when calculating tax. it was used on many modules with hard coded values. I think this is not the way the tax should be Handled. what i thought was to make a tax master and save value to the database and get that value and calculate the tax amount. in the future developer or customer will be able to change it when ever the government change the tax. And my deadline was one week to finish it.

My Solution for the Tax Issue.
  • Tax master with the bellow fields (Tax Code , Tax Name , Tax Personage)
  • Tax Module configuration ( This is to pick the tax code where we can conceder the tax percentage for calculation)
  • Then went it to all the modules that uses tax calculation used that configured tax percentage to calculate.
Problem faced
  • Didn't know the business process before i started it.
  • My first code change in a big company and i didn't have experience to modify code or to look at it.
  • Needed to modify all the reports that considered tax percentage because its now dynamic.
I finished the project within a week. its was a hard start but i think i have given the solution for the problem. for DB Security i have set a password and changed the database connection string as well.

Technologies Used

Languages : Visual Basic 6

Database : MS Access 97

Reports : Crystal Report 6.0

OS : Windows 98/95

Implementation

My new office gave me the address to the client place. And handed me with the invoice and asked me to get the money on the way back. I went to the client and implemented it and showed them how it works in a test environment. and they were satisfied handed over the Invoice and ask them for the money. They said that they will bank money because there accountant was not in. But i was given task to Collect the money and come back. So i waited till the accountant come for more than 2 hours. And collected the money came back to office. when i handed over the money to our accountant he was surprised he said that collecting the money was a practical joke ha ha ha .... what joke for new comer.. all laughed it out ... ha ha ha...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The true face of LGBTQ+ Agenda and your future

Why people stop growing when they are not rewarded

Identify the best people to work and improve creativity and productivity